Sunday, August 17, 2008

The Red Envelope

I forgot to mention in earlier posts that I've started collecting the donations from gracious friends in a special Red Envelope. I didn't know much about the significance of red envelopes until Christmas, when my parents gave Troy and I a generous gift in one. They received the envelope from some Chinese friends who visited Seattle last year, and wanted to give back for my parent's hospitality.

According to Wikipedia, red envelopes are mainly presented at social and family gatherings such as Chinese weddings or on holidays such as the Chinese New Year. The red color of the envelope symbolizes good luck and is supposed to ward off evil spirits. The amount of money contained in the envelope usually ends with an even digit, for instance 88, 168 are both lucky numbers, as odd numbered money gifts are traditionally associated with funerals. At weddings, the amount offered is usually intended to cover the cost of the attendees as well as a goodwill to the newly weds.

I find the red envelope's symbolic good luck will help me in my journey. To satisfy American tradition, I've also opened a saving's account for this endeavor.

No comments: